|American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
|American Medical Technologists (AMT)
|National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
|National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
|MA certification since||1963||1972||1989||1989|
|Other allied health credentials||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Eligibility criteria||Graduate of CAAHEP/ABHES accredited MA programs||
||High School / GED, at least 18 years old
||High School / GED
|Not eligible||Guilty of a felony||Guilty of a felony||
||Guilty of a felony|
|Application fee||$125/$250||$95||CCMA: $149
|Student Fee: $90
Regular Fee: $135
|Exam lifetime attempts||3||4||limitless||3|
|Examination format||Computer-based||Computer or paper based||Computer or paper based||Computer or paper based|
|Recertification by examination||Yes||No||No||No|
|Recertification by continuing education||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Certification period||5 years||3 years||2 years||5 years|
|Required CE points/hours per year||12||10||5||14|
|Annual recertification payment||No||$50||$80||$77|
|Internal CE points||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|External CE points||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|CPR certification requirement||Yes||No||No||No|
|Membership fee||$25-$107||All AMT certification holders||No||No|
|Career assistance (job placement)||No||Yes||No||No|
- NHA is the only organization that splits up the medical assistant certification in two different categories: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) and Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA).
- The medical assistant program has to be partnered with NHA.
- If your school program isn’t approved by NCCT, have your program official call NCCT to submit the appropriate documentation for consideration.
- For AAMA-members and recent graduates (within the last 12 months) of an accredited MA program $125, for non-members $250.
- Applicants qualify for student fee if currently in school or graduated within the last 6 months.
- If not passed within the allowed amount of attempts the examinee is no more eligible for the credential.
- Unlike AAMA, which additionally offers the option for recertification through examination, other three certification bodies provide only a reinstatement option.
- Possibility to earn CE points either through internal continuing education programs offered by the corresponding certification body or from other/external sources.
- The level of membership fees is based on place of residence and status.